Vehicle Tax Disc Changes

With effect from Wednesday, 1st October 2014, it will no longer be a legal requirement for drivers to display a tax disc in their windscreen.

What does this actually mean to you?

If you have a tax disc with months remaining on it after September 2014, on the 1st October or after you can remove the disc from your screen and securely destroy it.

This applies also to drivers in Northern Ireland, however Northern Ireland drivers will still be required to display their MOT disc.

Vehicle Taxation Going Forward

To legally drive, or keep a vehicle on the road, owners will still need to buy vehicle tax.  The DVLA will still send all customers a reminder of wen the vehicle tax is due to expire.  This applies to all vehicles, including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.

Purchasing a Vehicle

If you purchase a used vehicle on or after 1st October, the existing vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle to you, the new owner.  You will need to ensure the vehicle is taxed before you can use your new vehicle.

Selling a Vehicle

After 1st October, if you sell a vehicle, and you have notified DVLA of the sale, you will automatically receive a refund for any full calendar months remaining on the vehicle.

Paying vehicle tax by Direct Debit

From 1 October 2014 (5 October if setting up at a Post Office), Direct Debit will be offered as an additional way to pay for vehicle tax. This will be available for customers who need to tax their vehicle from 1 November 2014:

  • annually
  • 6 monthly
  • monthly (12 months tax paid for on a monthly basis)

Provided an MOT remains valid, the payments will continue automatically until you tell DVLA to stop taking them or you cancel the Direct Debit with your bank. Valid insurance should also be in place for vehicles registered in Northern Ireland.

The Direct Debit will be cancelled and payments automatically stopped when you tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle, or the vehicle has been taken off the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been made.

In order to do this, you can use the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) portion of the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate, DVLA online, or call the DVLA automated phone service.  Alternatively, customers are still able to visit a Post Office and tax vehicles in branch.

Checking the status of a vehicle

You can check the tax status of any vehicle online. The vehicle enquiry site can also be used for rental vehicles.

Back to Blog