Summer Tips – Getting the Most from your Air Conditioning
There’s nothing worse than getting back to your car on a hot day and getting into a furnace on wheels. With the heatwave going on in the UK at the moment we thought you might like to hear our tips on ensuring you get the most out of your car’s air conditioning.
- Don’t pre-cool – We know it’s tempting to start the air-con and try and cool your car down but it works far more efficiently when you’re actually driving because the faster the engine turns the faster the air-con compressor runs
- Don’t pay to cool the street – It’s tempting to wind down the windows for an extra blast of air but if your air-con is on you’re wasting fuel and coolant.
- Don’t recirculate the cabin air until your air-con is running cold. The chances are when you start your journey that the air outside is cooler than inside your car, so you initially want to use the air from outside but as the air temperature drops inside your car it is a good idea to recirculate and recycle the already cooled air inside your vehicle.
- Start the air-conditioning in low and gradually increase – If you have climate control or an auto setting on your air-con you don’t need to worry about this as it will do it for you. But if not start slow and gradually increase the settings.
- The obvious one is to park in the shade to keep your car as cool as possible, we know this is not always possible but remember the parking spot in the sunshine in the morning is often the one in the shade later in the day
- Maintenance is important to, either have your air conditioning serviced or ensure that all the filters are clean, plus at some point the coolant will need to be topped up.