Catalytic Converters – Help Prevent Theft
A catalytic converter (CAT) controls and converts exhaust emissions from a vehicle into less toxic substances. However, were you aware that CAT’s are valuable, due to the precious metals from which they are made?
Typically, CAT’s contain precious metals including platinum, palladium, rhodium and gold.
Converters are a target for thieves, due to their external location under vehicles. The problem of theft is especially prevalent among newer vans and SUV’s, with high ground clearance and easily removed bolt-on CAT’s.
There are steps you can take to reduce the risk of your catalytic converter being stolen.
- Park your car or van in a locked garage, if possible
- It it’s not possible, park your vehicle in a busy well-lit area as close to your property as possible
- For business fleets, consider; Good quality, strong perimeter fencing and try defensive parking (If you have a fleet of vehicles, block those with high ground clearance using vehicles with low clearance to obstruct access underneath the vehicle). Install and monitor CCTV and / or compound alarm systems
- Mark your catalytic converter with a marking system – there are a number of options available. Alternatively, contact your local police on 101, and they will be able to help you find out when the next catalytic converter marking event is in your area
- Fix a CAT security device to your vehicle, again there are a few options available.
- Fit a Cat alarm system
- Contact your local police team on 101 for site / home specific crime prevention advice.
If you see anyone acting suspiciously, underneath vehicles, report it to the police.
For any further information on keeping your personal or fleet vehicles safe, please contact Prospectus Vehicle Solutions for assistance.
Back to Blog