Are you a Backseat Driver?
Are you a backseat driver or do you dread going places with your spouse or loved one because you know they will comment on your driving every mile of the way? 7 out of 10 drivers say there is nothing more annoying than a backseat driver and the worst culprits are partners closely followed by parents!
Top 20 signs of a backseat driver:
1. Criticising the driver’s decisions behind the wheel
2. Complaining about the driver going too fast
3. Gasping loudly at any slight braking movement
4. Flinching when they feel the driver is too close to another vehicle/obstacle/wall etc
5. Complaining about the driver going too slowly
6. Pointing out when to turn off or onto a road at a junction
7. Pressing an imaginary brake pedal
8. Advising on which lane the driver should be in
9. Telling the driver when the traffic lights have changed to green
10. Insisting on giving directions
11. Interfering with the music
12. Swearing at other cars’ drivers
13. Gesticulating at other road users
14. Getting road rage on the driver’s behalf
15. Waving ‘thanks’ at other drivers for letting you out
16. Reading out the road signs as they pass
17. Changing the in-car temperature
18. Holding your hands over your face
19. Closing your eyes frequently when someone else is driving
20. Disagreeing with satnav
Tips for dealing with a backseat driver:
Make the driver aware of the dangers – In a recent survey 14% of drivers reported having an accident or a near-miss because they are distracted by a backseat driver.
Give them a task – Keeping them busy can help, if they have a task to focus on such as navigating they might comment on your driving less
Find something to listen to – Audio books or podcasts are a good choice because you have to be quiet and listen! Music can be a good choice if you have the same tastes and can agree what to play!
Plan ahead – If you know your route and where you plan to stop on the way this will leave you with less to disagree with whilst enroute
Consider changing your driving style! Maybe your backseat driver has a point – Do you drive too fast? Are you too close to the vehicle in front? If so maybe it’s time to change old habits and you’ll be a safer and happier driver.
For a quotation on your next vehicle drop us a line below and we’ll get in touch or call us on 0800 694 3880